Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's snowing!

I was excited on Friday to see that the weather report looked like this:




Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, rain+snow. Cool.

On Friday night it snowed. I went outside at 2am and then freaked out because something was falling on me, I thought the roof was breaking apart or something. Unfortunately it didn't really stick and when I woke up on Saturday morning the world was still green, although it was freezing cold and smelt like snow.

Stupidly I forgot all of that when getting dressed to go out on Saturday night, and it wasn't until I opened the door wearing high heels, a short skirt and a top that goes see-through when wet that I noticed it was seriously snowing! Knowing I would miss my bus if I changed, I headed out anyway, and 50m down the road decided I was already over the snow!

Sitting in the bus, and later in the bar, listening to the french, german and spanish being spoken around me and watching the snow fall down among the old buildings and christmas decorations was pretty cool though. I think I've never really been out and about while it was snowing, like I've gone out to play in the snow, or ski, or even to walk to school or whatever, but I guess it normally snowed at night, or we thought it was so bad that we stopped everything we were doing and huddled inside. So, it was quite a cool experience to just take the bus into town, spend a few hours drinking and dancing, and then take the late-night bus home while the snow was falling all around me. Have to say though, high heels+snow+cobblestone streets = seriously bad idea. Through in my propensity for general clumsiness and you're in for some real trouble!

I had the kids the following morning and was really hoping that the snow would stick. Luckily it did, and the kids didn't notice it until around 8.30am, and then I managed to drag out us actually getting out of the house until 9am. I threw them in multiple layers of clothing and put my ski pants on myself and out we went.

For two-year old Ollie, this was his first snow, and he walked out of the door and just stopped and stared with this "what the..." look on his face! It took him a bit of persuading to get amongst it. There was no holding Pepi back though, we got straight into making a snowman, which turned into a huge drama as Ollie got really into the 'ball' and got really upset that we were just using him for the snowman. Heaps of tears, so I made him his own snowball. Two seconds later, it was broken on the ground. More tears. Another snowball. More tears. Another snowball. Pepi had commandered my gloves as we couldn't find his, and my hands were freezing, and Ollie was howling so loud I swear the neighbours all hate us now!

Here's the snow from Ollie's perspective:

"Um, Claire, whuck is all this white stuff?"

"It's cold, it's wet. Girl, what are you doing to me!"

"BALL!"
"Baaaaalllllllllll"
"I want a snow ball!!!!!"
"Hmm, this throwing thing looks like fun"
"Ahaha, payback time, nanny"

Finally Pepi and I managed to distract him with snow fights, until Ollie worked out he could actually throw the snow back at us (previously these fights have been pretty one sided!) and I got outnumbered by them, we all got wet and cold, and it really was time to head inside and make hot chocolate. It was so cool though getting to see Ollie really experience the snow for the first time, and I can tell we're going to have a lot of fun out there in it during the next month!

More photos of the snow in Luxembourg Ville and the kids are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment